We share the secrets to how great SOPs can change the workplace and give you a solid strategy for eliminating and alleviating employee burnout for good.
As a successful business leader, you already know employee burnout is real.
With a whopping 83% of US workers experiencing work-related stress and around 1M employees missing work every day, it’s no surprise burnout kills productivity, increases turnover, and costs US employers nearly $200B per year in healthcare costs.
But despite the impact, 70% of employees still don’t think companies are doing enough to solve the problem.
Things need to change.
And with the right procedures in place, they can.
From putting employee experience first, to supporting workers with great Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), there are a million and one ways to reduce employee burnout, boost well-being and increase productivity in your teams.
How does it work? We share the secrets to how great SOPs can change the workplace and give you a solid strategy for eliminating and alleviating employee burnout for good.
Looking to reduce employee burnout and improve productivity? Find out how Whale can help.
4 surefire ways to boost employee wellbeing with epic SOPs
- What is employee burnout and how can SOPs help?
- #1. Support new hires with on-the-go processes
- #2. Create a killer learning and development strategy
- #3. Help employees feel part of the bigger picture
- #4. Make work-life simple with streamlined SOPs
- Better SOPs = Reduced employee burnout
What is employee burnout and how can SOPs help?
Employee burnout definition;
Employee burnout is a type of work-related stress that affects employees’ physical and mental health. Although it isn’t a medical diagnosis, it does have a very real physical and emotional impact.
Employee wellbeing should be at the top of every business leader’s to-do list — and one of the most powerful ways to take charge is by making employees’ jobs as simple and enjoyable as possible.
The secret? Easy-to-use, accessible SOPs.
How great Standard Operating Procedures can reduce employee burnout
and boost business results!
- Help employees do their job: According to LinkedIn’s 2021 Workplace Learning Report, one of the major factors of manager burnout is unclear job responsibilities (30%). In other words, not knowing how to do a job can lead to burnout. On the flipside, clear SOPs = satisfied employees.
- Improve productivity: The World Health Organization estimates that $1T is lost in productivity each year as a result of employee burnout. The answer? Show you care by improving the workplace experience with smart SOPs.
- Boost retention: If employees aren’t happy, burn-and-churn becomes an everyday issue. To avoid losing great employees to burnout, give them what they want: easy-to-follow processes that actually help them do their jobs.
- Increase employee empowerment: Research shows higher levels of autonomy lead to increased job satisfaction, while lower levels can lead to employee burnout. In other words, the easier it is for employees to do their jobs without a handhold, the happier they’ll be.
Ready to create SOPs employees love? Get in touch to find out how Whale can help.
1. Support new hires with on-the-go processes
Every new hire wants to feel welcome in their first few weeks at work — and a huge part of preventing employee burnout is to help them learn the job as quickly as possible.
With negative onboarding experiences making it 2X more likely for new hires to seek out a new role in the near future, getting it right is everything.
Here’s how to create the dream onboarding experience so your next new hire feels supported from day one:
- Give them a walk-through: 58% of new hires ask for a walk-through of key processes, making smart Standard Operating Procedures top of the list for a great onboarding experience.
- Make SOPs accessible: Whether your employees are in-person or remote, give them easy access to the SOPs they need to get the job done.
- Don’t overwhelm new employees: Starting a new job can be overwhelming, which is why you need to make it as easy as possible for new hires. Use an automated tool to assign specific SOPs to each new employee, so they only ever have the info they need (and nothing they don’t).
2. Create a killer learning and development strategy
Almost half of employees say training and development can help alleviate stress by making them feel better informed and valued.
Now there’s a reason to get it right. 💪
And if you do invest in an awesome training strategy? 94% of employees would stick around for longer (hello juicy retention rates).
Here’s how a great training strategy can help reduce employee burnout and boost retention:
- Attract and retain great talent
- Motivate and engage employees
- Develop employee skills
- Build a strong company culture
- Strengthen your employee brand
But the real secret to an unbeatable strategy? Promote learning in the flow of work.
With a smart training platform, the exact SOP you need will pop up in your sidebar at the moment you need it. Genius.
With Whale’s Chrome Extension your employees can get the information they need when they need it. Get in touch to find out more.
3. Help employees feel part of the bigger picture
Employees are there for a reason — to make a difference.
But if you don’t give them the opportunity to input into your wider business (or even their immediate team), employee burnout won’t be far behind.
And it’s not just employees who suffer. 89% of HR leaders agree that ongoing peer feedback and check-ins are key for successful business outcomes, too.
Here’s how to make employees feel like a valued part of the team (and boost your bottom line at the same time):
- Ask for feedback: Asking employees to share their thoughts on company procedures is a great way to improve SOPs and help employees feel they’re being valued. It’s a win-win.
- Listen carefully: Employees who feel their voice is heard are 4.6X more likely to feel empowered to perform at their best. Show employees you understand by asking for feedback and, more importantly, listening to it.
- Let employees share their expertise: Go one step further by giving subject matter experts the opportunity to share their knowledge with the team and play a part in keeping SOPs up-to-date.
4. Make work-life simple with streamlined SOPs
There are a lot of employees out there who suffer from workload-related stress (46% to be exact).
As a business leader, it’s your job to reduce unnecessary to-do lists by making sure your procedures are as simple as possible.
- Choose your tools wisely: We all know tech is awesome, But too much tech? Maybe not. Help reduce employees’ logging-in-and-out time by choosing one integrated knowledge and training platform that does it all.
- Keep SOPs simple: Gone are the days of paperwork pile-ups. These days, SOPs should be easy to use, fun to read and get employees excited to do their jobs. Think: short, simple SOPs with fun gifs, images, and videos.
- Make sure processes are updated: The best training and knowledge platforms will allow you to allocate subject matter experts to specific SOPs and set automated reminders when it’s time to update. Simple.
Better SOPs = Reduced employee burnout
In the post-pandemic era, employee burnout is an everyday problem — but with the right SOPs, you can help alleviate part of the stress.
From helping employees do their job, to making them feel like part of the team, creating engaging and up-to-date SOPs is the key to better retention, improved productivity, and an empowered workforce.
The result? Healthy employees and a healthy business.
Want to scale your business with killer SOPs employees actually love?
Download our complimentary Ultimate Guide to SOP and Knowledge Management